Wednesday, August 10, 2005

History Lesson

Recently I haven't been visiting my grandparents that often. I used to go and see them at least once a month, occasionally once a week. Free food and the entertainment I received from my "Baci" yelling at everyone was all the reason I needed for a visit. Over this past year, however, my grandfather's alzheimers has gotten worse, and it's sad to see him. I still go, just not as often. I know my Baci appreciates myself and my siblings visiting her, she always tells me. So, I keep going.

Today I went to see my Aunt who lives there and takes care of them. We went to dinner and then back to her house, and my Baci told us that she didn't know where my grandfather was. My Aunt looked through the house (at which time I joined my Baci in the living room), and she found him in their bedroom. While my Aunt Kathy was getting him ready for bed I had a chance to speak with my grandmother, about her for a change.

It was AMAZING!

Along with the fabulous tidbits of family history i soaked up i realized that i am like her in so many ways. I think most of us are. She was telling me that she wished that she had asked her parents so many more questions about who they were, and where they came from. She said that when you're young you think of them as the "old times" and who wants to be bothered with that? As you get older though you tend to forget most of what has come before you, and weary trying to remember. The look in her eyes wasn't exactly regret or sadness, but perhaps, disappointment. Each time I asked her a question she seemed really excited that someone wanted to know who our family is and was.

I found out that my Great-Grandfather's name was Peter, and he was born in Russia, but lived in Poland for most of his life. Until the military wanted him, so he ended up jumping out a window to avoid them and probably found the first train to the first boat to Ellis Island! My Great-Grandmother, Stella Janeck (I actually vaguely remember her from when I was a little girl) came to Ellis Island shortly afterwards in 1907, when she was 20, with her 1 year old. My grandmother's sister Meda.

My mother's maiden name is Szulwach. But it's spelling had been changed along the way, when my Great-grandparents first came to NY, they spelled their name: Szculch.

All these things my grandmother told me, and she told me that she had written it all down in 2 seperate journals, but she wasn't sure where she put them. She said she'd look for them so I could see them.

I hope she finds them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home