Wednesday, January 30, 2008

a meeting

Yesterday I decided to get to know my piano a little better. I don’t know it that well – see, not even sure yet if it’s a boy or a girl – but this is something that I want to do. My first piano knew me so well, and I knew it so well. It was guaranteed that when I settled into that bench it would welcome the emotion that flowed through me and transform it into sound in order for me to find my way through to the sunny side. I also knew that when I hit Bb2 not much would happen – a little “ting” if I was lucky. I must have pounded that key more than any other in my repertoire. Next, during a really humid day in the summer I could assure you that A4 would stick for a good 12 count. I could go on and on but I think you get my point – it was like an old friend. Unfortunately, it was too old to make it in a move to Philly. So I bought a new one when I got here. It’s sweet and has mellow, rounder sound. I think it’s a bit shy though – it’s taken a while for me to feel comfortable sitting at the keys - it's almost as if I'm invading it's space. Definitely need to spend more time on that bench and open myself up in hopes it will show me it’s flaws as I work through my own…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home