Thursday, July 03, 2008

A word about my quote in the header

"Live the Life You Love. Love the Life You Live."


After my 18th birthday I bought a beautiful, bright yellow, 1968 VW Bug. I have to admit, it was one of the more ridiculous things I've done - but it was worth it. I had it for about a month or so before I sold it for tuition money and my parents let me have their old Civic wagon (instead of making the trade to get their new car) so I could physically get to class. [VERY nice of them.] Anyway...the bug ran like crap - but there were floorboards (barely) and the clutch was the worst I'd ever driven. But on the back window of that car there was a sticker with those 10 beautiful words that so perfectly articulated the way I knew I wanted to live my life.

Though I do like some "creature comforts" - I am not afraid to leave it all behind. I don't intend to miss out on the things I want to discover and see. This is not always the easiest thing to do; most times it's bittersweet - trading comfort and proximity to family and friends for discovery and adventure. My mom thinks that I'm not sentimental; and true, I don't get attached to many objects and things; rather, I'm attached to smells and tastes and memories (one fantastic reason to keep a journal or blog!). For instance, if I'm taking a walk and wind blows just so, it could bring with it the memory of a past hike; or walks I used to take with my whole family out back of our house growing up. I don't need to hang on to dirt from that road to conjure up the sentiment - even the smell of rain brings me back there. Especially here in Tucson where it smells like "dusty rain." (that's the best way I can describe it) - it reminds me of how the rain smelled on Meadow Ave. I digress...

I love my family and friends; but I know, I've always known, that I don't want to spend my life in one place doing one thing. Perhaps I'm a bit "unruly"- but really, I just want to embrace life. This life. This only life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home